Home > History of ECEK

Photo: Pawel Jelenski


The European Centre for Education and Culture was built on the site of the former POW camp Stalag VIII A where the complete work of the “Quartet for the End of Time” was premiered on January 15, 1941.  The center provides the opportunity to commemorate the events of World War II with special consideration of the artistic activities of prisoners of war. The quartet has been composed by Olivier Messiaen as occupant of the POW camp Stalag VIII A in Görlitz (today  Zgorzelec).

By experts of contemporary music this work is considered as one of the most profound and enchanting masterpieces of the 20th century. This masterpiece was performed over 500 times during the official concerts by world-famous musicians. The construction of the center will allow the meeting of representatives of many nations in the border triangle and offer a wide range of cultural programs and artistic education. In the center working groups are organized, in which educators, artists, children and youth and the elderly can participate from different European countries.

The project will also improve the quality of the presentation for young people of the O.-Messiaen-works, the collections that recall the history of Stalag VIII A, the events of European composers meetings, contribute concerts with world-famous musicians, international education, knowledge and art workshops.


Projekt był współfinansowany ze środków Europejskiego Funduszu Rozwoju Regionalnego w ramach Programu Operacyjnego Współpracy Transgranicznej Polska – Saksonia 2007 – 2013



Akceptuję
Nasza strona internetowa używa plików cookies (tzw. ciasteczka) w celach statystycznych, reklamowych oraz funkcjonalnych. Dzięki nim możemy indywidualnie dostosować stronę do twoich potrzeb. Każdy może zaakceptować pliki cookies albo ma możliwość wyłączenia ich w przeglądarce, dzięki czemu nie będą zbierane żadne informacje. Dowiedz się więcej jak je wyłączyć.